What is Glycolic Acid and Alpha Hydroxy Acid?
Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) are a group of naturally occurring substances found in many common fruits and foods. For example: citric acid from citrus fruit, malic acid from apples, tartaric acid from grapes and lactic acid from milk.
Ingredients such a lactic acid and citric acid have been used in the cosmetic industry for decades. It was not until the introduction of Glycolic Acid into cosmetics that AHAs revolutionized today’s skin care industry.
Glycolic Acid is found naturally in sugar cane. It is believed to be the most effective of all the AHAs due to its small molecular size – which is the smallest of all the AHAs. For this reason, physicians worldwide dispense Glycolic Acid-based skin care products to their patients.
Glycolic Acid can be used to treat many skin conditions. It can be used to promote:
- Smoother and softer skin texture
- Healthier, more supple appearance
- Improved flexibility of the stratum corneum
- A reduction in the appearance of fine lines
- Even skin tone
- Reduce the occurrence of blackhead formation
- Improvement in acne and oily-prone skin
- Improvement in skin elasticity